WWDC 2017 wish list
Roughly 5 of the things I wanted came true last year. Let's see how this year goes.
- [X] New (big) iPad Pro 12.9" replacement, because my grandma would like a larger screen and the current 12.9" is almost 2 years old.
- [X] Better Mission Control performance
- It's not terrible, but it can get laggy with a lot of windows
- [ ] Picture-in-picture (PIP) video support
- Please please please, just like on the iPad
- [?] Faster 3D Touch cursor dragging on the keyboard
- If you try to activate cursor dragging twice in quick succession it'll often fail and not provide feedback to your finger, which feels really terrible. Force touch should always be immediate and provide that feedback.
- [ ] Dark mode in stock apps
- Mail, Calendar, etc.
- Permanently dark keyboard. This was an option in iOS 7.1 beta 1.
- [X] More Control Center options
- 3D touchable Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connections would be nice. I'm not totally sure I need/want configurable apps on the bottom, but I can see the reasons why people would want a different calculator or timer app.
- [ ] Rename Bluetooth devices
- [ ] Set different default apps
- [ ] Multiple user accounts
- [ ] Swipe-able keyboard typing (in the stock keyboard)
- [X] Communicate via text, not just voice
- Google is starting to do this with their Assistant app. Maybe integrating Siri's capabilities with the Spotlight text search would make sense. If I could type in a calendar event in there and it worked just like Fantastical's natural language processing, that would be great.
- [?] Be less dumb, as always
- [ ] Enable developers to offer upgrade pricing
- [ ] Free trials for paid apps
- [ ] 5GB (or more?) of free storage space per device, not in total
- [ ] More reliable iCloud restores
- I've helped family members with this many times, and apps often get stuck trying to rehydrate from iCloud and just stand still. Turning Airplane mode on and off again is seemingly the best way to nudge the restore along, which shouldn't be necessary.
- [?] Faster Universal Clipboard
- This has improved somewhat, but not being able to search in Safari for a few seconds while the clipboard synced was often frustrating.
Phone & Messaging
- [ ] An Apple-provided spam blacklist
- Thanks to CallKit, third party apps can help auto-block spam calls either for "free" or a few dollars per month. I'd be happier to use an Apple-provided blacklist than trust third parties. It's sort of like paying for modern-day antivirus software.
- [X] Driving auto-reply
- Samsung's in-traffic reply app is a decent start, but Apple could do it better (hopefully without requiring the device to be connected to a CarKit system).
- [X] Send money via Apple Pay
- [X] Stop the volume adjustment overlay from obtrusively covering what you're trying to watch
- [X] Zoom in anywhere
- You can zoom in on videos within the Photos app, but not on media player videos
- [ ] Playback speed controls (up to 2x)
- [X] A way to jump forward/back a few seconds
- YouTube implemented this recently using a double tap gesture on either side of the screen, but I often forget about it. Given how unnecessary the media forward/back controls are in most contexts, replacing their buttons with these controls could make sense.
- [?] Auto-rotate landscape video
- Disabling rotation lock every time I want to watch a longish video is a pain, which is why I really appreciate apps (like YouTube) that use their own custom video players to do this automatically.
- [X] Display GIF animations
- [X] Sync people albums across devices
- There must be a way to do it while preserving user privacy. Right now my iPhone has the most matched photos, and I have no desire to go through the process again on other devices.
- [ ] Edit photo metadata
- Remove GPS, change date taken (which comes in handy if someone sends you a photo with incorrect data), and add notes/comments.
- [?] Sort a photostream by date taken, not by date uploaded (which is just dumb)
- [?] Save a video shared with me via a photostream
- You can save photos but not videos? What?
- [ ] Auto-orient photos
- Particularly when taking photos of things on the ground (like "scanning" papers), the device's gyroscope often gets screwy and orients photos incorrectly. Visual processing would likely be able to help decide which way an image's true orientation should be.
- [ ] Family Photo Library
- Google has already started to address this problem. Apple should too.
- [ ] Multiple tab stacks, or "spaces"
- Something like Edge's ability to set all tabs aside would be great. This would allow the user to quickly switch contexts between "researching for a school paper" and "learning how to code", for example, without having to meticulously maintain the order of their tabs to keep things together. Basically windows, but not windows.
- [ ] Webapp push notifications (which is already available in macOS)
- [X] WebRTC support for client-to-client media streaming (basically Skype in the browser)
- [?] Better "View as Desktop" implementation
- This button is nearly useless today now that most sites are "responsive" to the device's screen resolution. If the screen resolution could be changed virtually to something like 1920px wide, desktop views would appear more reliably.
- [ ] Membership cards and gift cards
- Even if they're not automatically applied at checkout, being able to store the barcode for these within the Wallet app would be nice. Right now wonky third party apps are necessary to do this.
- [?] Ability to hyperlink text
- [?] Ability to attach multiple documents
- [?] Ability to open/import audio files from other apps. It's currently not possible without using iTunes.
- [ ] Group video/audio conference calls, which was briefly in an iOS 8 beta.
- [ ] Screen sharing, similar to Screen View in iOS 9.3. Tech support would be way easier.
- [X] QR code scanning
- Maybe not a "mode", but something similar to what Google showed off at I/O, where it just "knows" that you're trying to open a link. Opening printed out URLs would be cool too.
- [?] Sometimes when watching videos, the time at the top of the screen becomes doubled-up.
- [?] Occasionally, even with orientation lock turned on, the display will rotate into landscape mode and stay there until manually fixed.
Update: June 4th, 2017
Added section for App Store wishes.
Update: June 5th, 2017
Added orientation lock bug.
Update: June 8th, 2017
Added annotations in front of each item.
- [X] = my wish was granted
- [?] = maybe it was granted, but haven't confirmed
- [ ] = maybe next year